June 25, 2011

My First Impression of Vegas



Ok, so here I am, all checked into the hotel, changed and ready to get my grub on. I just wanted to drop a quick post to tell you about my first impressions of Vegas.

So, I get to the hotel and am immediately assaulted by slot machines. Now, I am not a gambler, so no big deal, right? But, for those that have issues with gambling...this could pose a problem. I mean, it seems that you just can't get away from the gambling here. But, on the other hand, I guess if you had a gambling problem, you probably shouldn't be in Vegas in the first place, right?

As I am walking to baggage claim, I notice a few things that are so un-Florida-like. Not surprising, being that I am over 1400 miles away from Tampa, but nonetheless, I was still a bit surprised. First of all, McCarran International Airport is huge! It just seems to go forever in all directions. Not only is there a liquor kiosk in the airport but they also sell bongs! Yup...you read right. Bongs...right in the middle of the airport. These weren't hidden in the back corner of some airport shop either. They were right, smack dab in the middle of the walkway, in a huge, brightly lit kiosk. I was on the phone at the time and the person I was speaking with (after laughing at my loud outburst of incredulity) simply stated that they were for tobacco purposes. Um...yeah...ok, if you say so.

But, aside from the gambling, liquor, and drug...ahem...tobacco paraphernalia, McCarran International is pretty nice. The people were very helpful. I wasn't sure how to get to the airport and the lady at information called the hotel for me to see if they had a shuttle. When she learned they did not, she directed me to the shuttle stop and offered to have somebody assist me with my bags...awwww!

So, as soon as I stepped outside...woost...my breath was taken away! I mean, I know heat...I live in Florida for jimminy's sake, but oh my, I have never felt heat like this. This is that dry, take your breath away, there is not enough water in the world to quench this thirst, type of heat. I was so relieved when I saw that the shuttle was there waiting for me until I learned that either a) there was no air, or b) it wasn't blowing in my direction. Oh well, I thought, how long can this ride really be? Well, I learned that I was next to last on the stopping order, so 30 minutes later and I literally feel like I am going to die! On top of that, the shuttle driver was just mean and nasty! Passengers were asking her questions and she was just downright rude! Almost to the point of yelling at them. At one point, I thought she was actually going to tell somebody to shut up. I was so thankful when my ride finally came to an end.

The bright side of the rainbow in all of this is my hotel. I have always loved Hilton hotels and, so far, this one does not disappoint. The room is nice and spacious. It is just me, so there is more than enough room. I have a mini-kitchenette with micro, toaster, full-size coffee make (booya!) and mini-fridge. The room is clean and pleasantly appointed and all of the staff were extremely friendly.

So now, here I sit, tired, hungry, giddy, and bored. Yup, I said it...bored. So far, I have not been able to connect with anybody so I have nobody to go out and explore Vegas with, let alone anybody to go grab a bit to eat with. If there is one thing that I will do next time (and recommend), it is to bring somebody with me. That way, I have somebody to explore Vegas with. Thought about crashing a few dinners, but then thought better of it...lol. Maybe I'll go hit the strip. I am sure I will run into somebody or something interesting there.

Off to explore!
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
  • License

    Creative Commons LicenseMusings From The Careeranarchist by Rachel Salley, SPHR is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License based on a work at www.careeranarchist.blogspot.com