May 18, 2011

Losing Time



Time is something that we all say we never have enough of. It isn't hard to lose time. In fact, It is quite easy to get bogged down in our day to day lives. Work takes over our days, our families take over our nights and weekends, and sometimes it's impossible to tell the where to draw the line because the line tends to blur, or disappear completely. We make commitments that we break, we don't see our friends because we simply "don't have the time" and before we know it, weeks and months have gone by with nary a peep.

I have been a victim of losing time. I'll get engrossed in a project and realize that what seems like a week of elapsed time has actually been two or ever three weeks! I like to think I am fairly pragmatic...except when it comes to my own personal development. This is an area where I tend to go hard or not at all. So, a lot of what I am saying here (and you all have to admit that this is true for a lot of people) is self-inflicted. I have made many commitments and set quite a few goals for myself this year. I am pushing myself to be more involved, to dedicate myself to furthering my profession and to take time to give of myself and my skills. I am also pushing myself to develop, or stretch myself more in areas where I may need to improve or would like to learn. I want to find time to go back to school and get my Masters. I also want to learn to kayak, play the piano, and write a novel...none of which I think are going to get done anytime soon.

I think sometimes we tend to over-commit. We have all of the best intentions, but then we realize that there are simply not enough hours in the day. I have had to make some extremely difficult decisions. I had had to let go of some commitments, put off some goals (no Masters again this year, I'm sure), and recommit to other things that I really cared about...in my life and in my career.

Re-evaluating priorities is not bad. Being self-aware of our limits and re-prioritizing commitments to ourselves and to our companies needs to happen from time to time. Often-times we find that there are so many things that we want, or even need to do but then, as time goes on, we realize that we have bitten off more than we can chew. When that happens, we have to evaluate what is most important in our lives and focus solely on those items that have the greatest impact to us personally and/or professionally.

With that said, I will close with this...find time for those things in your life that matter most. Don't try to do everything. In the end, all of your efforts will not matter...only the results. You will be remembered based on the impact that you had on people. Your legacy is how you are remembered and how you made people feel. If you focus on those things that truly matter, that are truly important, then you will be doing a huge service to all...most importantly yourself.
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
  • License

    Creative Commons LicenseMusings From The Careeranarchist by Rachel Salley, SPHR is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License based on a work at www.careeranarchist.blogspot.com