January 3, 2010

What Are You Willing to do to Secure Your Next Position?

Today is Sunday. It is 6:49am and I am gathering the last of my things and putting them into my truck so that I can get on the road. Actually...strike that...I am taking 10 minutes away from doing that to type this. Then, I am going to finishing gathering what needs to be gathered, make a cup of coffee, load my daughter in her car seat and hit the road. See, I am about to make an 18 hour drive to New Jersey for a few days. Why on earth would I make that drive, just to spend a couple of days? Well, there is a perfectly good explanation. I have a job interview. Why would I travel 18 hours for a job interview? Well...why not?

I have been out of work for over 2 months. I was laid of from my position as an HR Manager back at the end of October. When I lost that position, I immediately started looking for a new position. While I love living in sunny Florida and love everything that Tampa has to offer, I also know that without a job, there is little that I can truly enjoy. So, with that in mind, I started putting out feelers. Of course, I am looking where I live but I also know that opportunities do not abound here in Florida. Not that they abound anywhere, for that matter, but I do know that there are more opportunities elsewhere than there are here. With unemployment at 11% in Florida and at over 12% in the Tampa Bay area alone, I had to expand my horizons. What better place to expand to than the place where I was born and raised - New Jersey?

So, with the quickness and the fierceness of a squirrel collecting nuts for winter, I started scouring various job boards...you're typical ones that Monster and CareerBuilder, as well as some not so typical ones like Indeed and JobFox. I sent my resume out to a number of organizations seeking anything from a Recruiter to a Generalist to a HR Manager (hey...this girl can not afford to be choosey) for here and afar. With no surprise, but with some scarcity, I started getting hits on my resume. Where were all of these calls and emails coming from? Recruiters and companies in New Jersey and New York. Over the last 3 months, I have traveled back and forth to New Jersey five times for interviews. I have yet to secure a position, so here I am again. On my way to New Jersey for yet again ANOTHER interview! But...I don't mind. Interviewing means that I actually have a shot at a job. I have more possibility than not having an interview.

This brings me back to the point of this post. I am ready and raring to go...ready to move back to the chill and ice and chaos of the northeast. Ready to rejoin the rat race of the big city. I am ready to relocate!! All I need is the job and I am there. My question, though, to all of you job seekers out there. What are you willing to do in order to secure your next position? Think on that...
blog comments powered by Disqus
 
  • License

    Creative Commons LicenseMusings From The Careeranarchist by Rachel Salley, SPHR is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License based on a work at www.careeranarchist.blogspot.com